A Chocolate Donut

December 21, 2007

Allergies..Bleh!

Filed under: CPAP, fibromyalgia, health, life, rant, sleep — Wizus @ 12:28 am

In the last 16 months I have had 5 sinus infections..the only sinus problems I have ever had in my entire life.  I have been achy and sick, moody and tired, with itchy, watery eyes, stuffy nose and headaches.  My doctor told me it is from allergies, funny thing is, I am not allergic to anything that I know of.  In all my 42 years I have never had hay fever or any reaction to foods.  If I am going to need to use nose spray everyday just so I can breathe, then I want to know what am I allergic to.  So off to the specialist I went.

Allergy testing is kind of fun.  They draw boxes on your back and then prick each section with a different substance.  It doesn’t hurt and kind of tickles on the ribs.  The first test were all negative so I went back 2 weeks later for another round of tests with the same negative results. Then I had 5 tubes of blood drawn to test for various food sensitivities and that all came back negative too. So what is causing all these problems with my nose? I get tested for something else…mold.  All sorts of mold.  Twenty pin pricks worth and more blood tests!  Can you guess what I found out?  Yes, I am very sensitive to mold and fungi.  All sorts and kinds…ringworm, athlete’s foot, the stuff that grows on food and the kind that can show up in the bathroom. 

Talk about a lightbulb moment!  I have been living in my house for only 18 months.  I had the first sinus infection a few months after moving in, then one every 3-4 months.  I think I keep a clean home but the house is 20 years old.  We do a little investigating and we find mold in the walls! In the ceiling! 

I tell you, I am actually relieved.  I know it sounds crazy but all I wanted was to know what was causing my sinus problem and how to fix it.  It is not as bad as it sounds because we had already made our plans to remodel our home.  We have blueprints and a building permit, we just needed a nudge to stop the procrastination.  We moved out of the house (yes! moved! just wait till I show you what we are doing to our house!) and I am doing so much better…so much so that I do not use the cpap any longer!  No more swollen sinuses! 

I am so glad I insisted on finding out what type of allergy I have.  Maybe if I had lived with hay fever all my life I would have settled for the generic “you have allergies” diagnosis and never known I am so sensitive to mold.  I would have used the sprays and antihistamines everyday and just lived with it.  I would have blamed the headaches and flu-like achiness on fibromyalgia when it wasn’t that at all.  Now that I know the culprit I can deal with it!  

Advertisements

4 Comments »

  1. Wow! Talk about a breakthrough moment!

    I grew up with allergies and am much less plagued by them than I used to be. It is one of the reasons I stay in the midwest, when I go back to the east coast to visit they come back full force. It is hard for someone who doesn’t suffer them to imagine how it feels to be slightly sick ALL the time. And how wonderful it feels when you figure out what is wrong and can change it!

    I am glad to hear that you are out of the house and settled somewhere healthy. Will remodeling truly take out all the mold?

    Comment by shellssells — December 21, 2007 @ 7:42 am

  2. That is horrible…and then fantastic lol!

    I went through a similar thing when I was quite young. Every day I would wake up with snuffles and stuffy head. This went on for a few months before I went in for allergy testing. It turned out to be the feather pillow I was sleeping on!! I’m glad your allergy didn’t turn out to be something that is hard to live without….I long for a down comforter lol!!!

    Congrats on the reno!

    Comment by savasana — December 21, 2007 @ 4:54 pm

  3. Yes, Shells, we are moving walls and replacing all the flooring, updating the kitchen and baths. We will fix everything and clean up the mold. We wrestled with the idea of moving out or tring to live with the mess while we worked on the house, but when we found mold we started packing!

    Comment by Wizus — December 22, 2007 @ 6:41 pm

  4. I would never have thought you would have mold in a house in the Arizona desert. Good grief. I went through the same allergy testing and was also allergic to mold and a host of other things. Knowing the culprit helps develop the correct treatment. Mold is expensive and hard to get rid of. We’re facing a ton of it in a house we inherited from my parents in the North Carolina mountains. I’m thinking about just bulldozing it and starting over. Good luck.

    Comment by WC — January 9, 2008 @ 7:41 pm


RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: